Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Para-dicey

Well the rent is due. PinF has watched and waited for 5 months as people throughout the gulf and carribean have been besieged with catastrophic hurricanes. Now it's our turn. Another alphabet killer, this time named Wilma is on the way. Quite a contrast from what I've just seen as I cycled down and back this past weekend. I saw crystal turquoise blue waters and sun-drenched islands of bleach white sand. Here is where life moves at a considerably different pace, and where clocks really have little sway over the locals. Tiki huts populate the upper keys as you make your way towards Key West, offering cold beer and conch fritters and plenty of locals with fish tales. It's enough to make one wonder if anyone works here, as it seems everyone's kind of on an extended holiday.

The reminders of past hurricane's and their power are everywhere. The most notably obvious are the ruins that run parallel to the Over Seas highway, these are long since battered remants of the original highway and railroad that were washed out by past hurricanes. These are all sobering reminders of the power of nature and the vulnerability of these island gems that are strung out 170 miles into the Atlantic ocean. For anyone who has never been, this is a must see area of this incredibly large country of our's.

I was enjoying my ride rumbling down through Keys anticipating all that is Key West: the revelry, the music, and the food. Of course there is the sunset too. I met up with a life long good friend from Pennsylvania Laurie MacLaughlin and her parents, herself a resident of the Keys for almost 20 years as are her parents who retired here a few years ago. Her work as a marine biologist with NOAA is what brought her here-- and I beleive keeps her here, as she is passionate about the reef and its preservation. We spent a great evening enjoying good food, good drink and then a little of night life. I was treated to wonderful hospitality and a comfortable bed, all much appreciated after an often rain soaked ride down.

Now it's back to the reality of what is coming. I wonder how Sophia is handling this, as the TV is non-stop with it's forecasts, and of course everyone starts talking bout this, not to mention probably even the school itself. Weighing even heavier on my mind is my father's health. He was involved in auto accident last week and has now slipped back into a very uncertain state, and is currently in ICU. The true dilemma will arise if his condition worsens, as I am now in for the immediate haul to make sure Sophia is protected with the impending storm, a fact I made the Pennsylvania Doctor aware of. I also realize and can imagine if my father could communicate to me, he would tell me to be here for my daughter, that he'd be ok, that's just the way he is; of course I'm torn all the same. Still the most important thing in getting a child through this type of ordeal is putting up a calm front. I realize that Sophia, and indeed all children take there cues from their parents in times of crisis, so as worried as I am for my father and of course our collective safety here, I cannot afford top be anything but calm and confident.

Of course Sophia and I have been through this before with Frances and Jeanne last year, and she has witnessed for herself the power that is a hurricane. She missed quite a bit of school as well, having lost power to our entire area for 7 days. So we wait; we watch the weather, and we prepare as best you can. You take the precautions that need to be taken, you make sure your vehicle has plenty of gas so as not to be caught in the panic. I did that this morning, so at lunch I will gather up the non perishables I am short on and then go over a plan with my buddy John and Sophia's mother, as I am still concerned for her safety as well. I have a concrete house to shelter in, so I'm confident. After this, you put your faith in God, and hunker down. My biggest fear at this point prior to the storm is whether or not I'll see the Eagles game, as I suspect we'll be without power--add that to the list: a portable battery powered TV.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim--Hope the storm stalls, and misses you and Sophia, and you get to see Iggles win on Sunday!! Fred--Call Wilma back to Bedrock!

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine what it's like to experience a hurricane...and with all that has happened in the last few months..seeing is believing....I will keep you and your family in my prayers....faith is the key...

blessings,

Anonymous said...

PinF,

Thanks for the post card I received this week. I look forward to getting together for the Blogger's Convention at Sligo's

Hope you are well. I'm a daily reader of Scotty's blog.

Great work. Now how 'bout a cold guinness?

Anonymous said...

Was Wilma easy on you?? Sure hope so...

Anonymous said...

PinF..heard from CNN about the Wed nite ride-fiasco story...reminds me of Media in the late 80's...just wanted to wish you the best with your dad-I lost my dad last Dec and it sure isn't easy when long hospital stays are involved...you are in my thoughts...jojo