Monday, November 28, 2005

Reaping the Bounty

Ok, so I'm sure everyone's Thanksgiving was delicious. With this in mind, I'm not going to go into any great detail regarding PinF's meal, it was delicious, and the day was full of poignancy and fun. The weather was quite spectacular-- sunny, hot, and just about as beautiful as could be. There's something weird about starting your day looking at chilly spectators lining a parade route at some northeast parade on TV, and then stepping outside in bare feet and shorts. It takes a little getting used too, but believe me once you are, it's almost hard to imagine your holiday any other way. Sophia and I used this weather as a springboard for our entire extended weekend, one that featured the motorcycle quite a bit.

Saturday Sophie and I loaded up and headed out at 10AM for the West Palm Beach green market. One of the nice aspects of Florida in the winter is the variety of outdoor events that take place more regularly because of the cooler weather. Art festivals, musical events, and of course the venerable green markets, an event which harkens back to the day when the farmers located about 30 miles west of the coast would bring their bounty to the street markets. Of course the idea has been polished a bit, probably because of the fact that we're two miles from Palm Beach island, still there are the mom and pop farmers alongside the nouveau "goatcheese" dealers and florists, all of which make for a nice little market. These little markets spring up in every community from October to April, just in time to capture the flowing dollars of our neighbors to the north while also complimenting the almost spring-like winter weather.

Of course along with the farmers, bakers, florists, and other agricultural tenants come other "lesser" known p
urveyors of goods and services. These are the one's that make the market, they give it color and fun. Take for instance the old man playing the flute...people don't realize that this was integral part of agriculture back in the day, as the farmers didn't have jam boxes back then. These men were the "charmers" playing to get the fields to grow I suppose. Sophia and I especially liked when he went into some christmas selections. This guy garnered several dollars from Sophie and I due to his ingenuity and skill, not to mention his ability to really play to his crowd with those christmas favorites.

Moving along w
e started to notice the decidedly "christmas" feel to the market, as Sophia spied some pine cone christmas trees on a table being sold by a florist. Of course they were crafty and eye catching so I naturally told Sophia to pick "one".......suffice to say I spent twenty minutes at the table while she tried to whittle me down to purchasing three, as she couldn't "pick just one". Eventually she did choose one, and we were free to once again move about in the beautiful sunshiney day......where exactly the "pine-cone christmas tree maker" fits in to the agriculture of yesteryear I'm not really sure.

By now Sophie and I were getting our groove, and after sampling numerous items of cheese, croissants, and o
ther tidbits we were in search of the real Florida. We found it in a very unlikely place in the form of a young man plying his "agriculturally rich" trade on the side walk. His service left very little to purchase, but as he demonstrated I could imagine the farmers of yester-year being motivated to harvest even more bounty. Struggle as I did with the sense of allowing this young man into a "green" market, Sophia seemed to get a bigger kick out of this guy than anyone. He was nothing if not enterprising, his skill was "magic tricks" and he seemed quite nice too, he gave Sophia three card tricks for a dollar.

Just as I b
egan to wonder what type of farmer's market employs card tricks as a featured "service", Sophia and I stumbled upon another highlight of the market. I spotted a dread-locked young man with happy grin and a large mug of coffee, just chilling and feeling no particlar need to "hawk" his goods like the many other vendors. His approach was much more laid back, as he let his artwork speak for itself. I use the term "artwork" loosely, as his work was both art and implement. Following a centuries old craft he constructs various hats and goods from the ever abundant palm fronds found, well-- just about anywhere here in Florida. Still this was a big favorite of PinF and daughter, especially with the little bird add-on that sprouts from the top of the hat. Malcom was from the British Virgin Islands, and his wares were expertly made, unlike some other vendors I could actually imagine a farmworker using his items.

By now the sun was high and hot in the sky, and it was approaching 11:30 AM, Sophia and I had already agreed upon a lunch outside on the promenade surrounding the fountain at
Bellagio at City Place but we first had an appointment at Barne's&Noble. Sophie adores the bookstore, again something I thank God for as she has little knowledge of any video games and for good reason. These were banned by act of parental decree some 4 years ago by none other than PinF, as I run a democratic-dictatorship--this is where we openly discuss all issues and I make the final ruling, with I might add-- no room for appeal or input. I've seen the effects of children who sit on a couch all day thumbing away at some fantasy land, so I decided early on that they were banned, and not only for Sophia, but anyone, friend or family that might bring them into my house. Sophia is all the wiser for this decision, and to be honest, she doesn't miss what she's never had. She loves books, and this makes PinF very happy to purchase them for her whenever she wants them. Before heading uptown on the bike we stopped at the fountains of Clematis Street in downtown West Palm where I took this photo. After this Sophia wanted to take a photo of me, so after manning the camera all day I allowed her one shot. We finally headed off to the bookstore and our lunch, something that we were both looking forward to as Bellagio is a great Italian restaurant to just people watch-- not to mention great food.

Sophia and I were able to secure a key table on the plaza, with the giant christmas tree set off to the right of the d
ancing water fountains. We both reviewed our ride and our day, relishing in all the fun moments and colorful characters we had met. Sophia ordered her standard: penne pasta, butter only with a side of crusty bread and butter. I had the beef carpaciao with mixed greens and fresh shaved parmigano in a balsamic vinegarette. Suffice to say we were both very content, she with her new books and me just relishing the moment. I recognize all too well how my time with her will slip away unseen someday. For now I make a point of trying to savor each little moment and make a fuss out of the ordinary, becuase I know she'll remember the "big moments" of her life, I'm trying to help her remember the simpler one's like today. As we ate we commented on well, everything-- the people, the pigeons who kept begging-- and why we shouldn't feed them, and of course christmas. Still we had other fun to be had, we were on our way to meet her girlfriend Sofia, and go the beach for the rest of the day. Sofia, same name different spelling, has been Sophia's friend since pre-school and she too is bi-lingual, so these two are like two peas in a pod.

The beach wa
s just gorgeous. Blue water, sunny skies, and lots of people. Sophia and Sofia played while I just enjoyed the scene, taking it all in and musing over my holiday weekend. In many ways it was nice not to be home for the holiday surrounded by the demands and pressures that short visits inevitably bring. Of course there is no replacing the familiarity of family and friends, though the longer I stay in Florida the more I realize that "home" is where my daughter and I are, not where my memories are. This is without doubt the hardest aspect of being a PinF during the holidays and recent crisis with my father. My heart is in Florida and my thoughts are in Philly, something I suppose will always be that way. All things considered I can deal with this as life is all about change, something that like the green markets of winter, come and go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the "big moments" and the simpler moments will create wonderful memories for Sophia (and you), but the more important memories will be how you made her feel. There's nothing more powerful than feeling safe, secure and loved. Sophia's got a good thing going here!!
JAH

Anonymous said...

Can I come visit next Thanksgiving??? What a lucky girl, Sophia is!!!!

Anonymous said...

i'd like to say something sweet, but you've already said it all. are all the paynter boys in touch with their feminine side?

previously ms. k.

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Hmmm StudioK....well Ms/Studio K, I don't know how much we're in touch with the feminine side owing to the fact we were raised in an exclusively male compund....but I do know, that my oldest brother and I have daughters, and that if nothing else will get you in touch real quick with the "other side"....