Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Less Sleep, but More Blessings

I'm thinking the best lessons in our lives are most definitely the bitter-sweetest and often the most touching.

For why would we draw lessons at all if they were only derived from the "good" times?

My neighbor Don pulled through his near death crisis and hasn't stopped thanking me for stopping by the hospital all those days to see him. Nothing for me really, as I know too well what it is to be in a hospital bed for days, even weeks-- at a time. PinF himself; afflicted at an early age with a near fatal kidney disease, remembers well the endless days of tests, needles, and surgeries.

So good for Don. Though he now faces the oncologist for what really ails him. Either way it was special to be a part of someone's recovery, and I too drew inspiration from him in that it offered that little reminder of how precious, fragile, and temporary my own time on this earth is. I literally looked upon a man on the dge and drew great strength from having been on that "edge" with my own father.

In between the neighborhood drama, my brother Chris arrived for his annual spring break. The beach was hot, the beer cold, the ocean warm and we laughed, exercised and had excellent meals. Of course I worked, he played. Ten days later he went home tan, rested and happy and I tried to continue my life. Not long after this, bitterswwet lesson number two came calling on PinF. An old and dear friend, one I hadn't seen in 25 years appeared from California. My good friend Hugh, originally from Swarthmore and currently living in California, called to say he was in the area. Great. Fire up the party machine again.

Hugh had been visiting his parents in South Carolina when he was called to West Palm to help his girlfriend Nat, herself sick with flu. Turns out she's from Thailand. A tiny waif of Asian gentleness; she was battling severe bronchitis. Hugh and her stayed on for a few days and like any true old friend, he and I picked up where we had left off 25 years ago. Laughing, joking, trading music and enjoying one another's company. Hugh would eventually tell me of his own personal challenges including a divorce and his subsequent fight against kidney failure, and his eventually fortunate transplant and return to semi- normal health and life. I had heard all of this through the grapevine, yet this was much more real. Hugh had been living in the far east teaching, he's traveled to many foreign countries and is what I'd call a real blue piece of glass--just a real all-around quality man and friend.

Hugh gave me much more than he claims to have been given on this trip. He gave me a realignment of perspective and balance to see my life for what it really is. We're often unable in life to really see what is important and precious. Hugh's visit, coming on the heels of my helping my neighbor Don through a battle for his life gave me just that--perspective. Not that I live without it mind you, it's just that we're all apt to lose focus from time to time. Hugh embodied many of the traits we all ascribe yet somehow lose--empathy, perspective, grace, and gratitude; all traits he nearly had to surrender. That was until his best friend volunteered his life saving gift of a new kidney, much like a good friend will do. Hugh still battle's today, and is on a host of anti-rejection drugs, but damn was it good to see and hear his tale. Oddly enough we're both left with one kidney, and I suspect that whatever we've each lost we gotten back in far greater quantities and clarity. Hugh and Nat left today, they are truly missed by Sophia and I. I haven't laughed so much for a long time.
Fast forward to today. PinF was called upon to be a volunteer for "Field Day" at Sophia's school spirit games. I was assigned the football skills obstacle course---in 85 degree weather. Again more precious and very vivid blessings. Being with your child, in her school, and being wanted there by them is in itself a really neat feeling. Sophie and me started our day at 7:30, and then ended it at 5:30 with Sushi accompanied by another student friend of Sophia's and dad and his wife. He too is from Philly and a helluva guy and father with like philophies of raising a little girl. This was my third lesson, and by far my most important, though no less relevant.

Being Sophia's "papi" is by far the most rewarding, difficult, and fun job I have. And because of this she is the main reason I try to maintain the health and balance that my neighbor and friend are fighting for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear TImber,
I am flattered to be among your close friends for which I am deeply indebted. I think the true blue annalogy is fitting among people who have shared a similar fate on many levels. Your writting skills are also top knotch. Keeping up with the one kidney wonder will never be possible, but I appreciate being included among your class act. Thanks so much for your kind words and actions with Nat (The wonder gal) and me. THanks for sharing your new life and amazing daughter with us. I look forward to reading your blog and making you a "satisfied customer" in the future!

U-ber

Anonymous said...

Please have Alice "Bunny" McCormick contact me. Thanks!

Amber Davis Collins
Peace Corps Honduras 2002-2004
amberbrooke21@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Timber

May I post your blog the favorite blog in my facebook?

OhO thanks a lot!!!

a little U-ber