Thursday, May 26, 2005

Idoltry

Well as a famous man once said..."It all ends in tears" and so it did for Carrie Underwood last night after being crowned the "American Idol". Her tears I could give a rat's ass about, my 6 year old daughter's tears are another story. She was heartbroken to see her beloved rocker Bo Bice take second place after hanging through 2 hours of the most shamless self promotion I've ever seen.

I had become somewhat of a "fan" I guess when it became my daughter's and my routine to watch this show every week together, and watch we did faithfully through the whole 12 week airing. Sophia immediately took to the rocker BO, declaring after the first night that the long haired, bearded hippyboy was her favorite. This got me to thinking that one day her "favorite" boy could and probably won't be the image I have in my head for her, which is a future worry i will delay dwelling on for now. Still it was with sadness for her as I watched her excited face well up with tears as the winner was announced? What do you say to soften that first real crush let down?

The whole idol phenomenon is a bit scary anway, as there seems to be little to idolize when most of these kids have their past transgressions outed by the likes of The Smoking Gun or others. Yet I also understand the mind of a 6-year-old girls, or at least I think I do- and in her mind, Bo was the end all and be all of stardom. Cute in a way, but sad still to see your child reduced to tears over something so contrived and scripted. I assured her that Clive Davis dug Bo more anyway, and he even said so a week before, and that he wanted to record his album, so he must be better than Carrie. This had little of the intended effect and so off she went with tears on her cheeks to bed....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another 10 years, you'll be the one crying, when she comes home with someone who's a splitting image of one, young Tim Paynter....Dad's worst nightmare I'm told.

Anonymous said...

No offense of course.

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Hmmmm...can I delete comments? Good one there gluebraboy.

Anonymous said...

Touche.

Anonymous said...

Papi i love your blog but whats up with that long hair short berded hippie guy? love bu

Anonymous said...

Sophia--Can I say, that your Dad had an ubelievable head of hair in his younger days!!! And if it wasn't for the curl in your Dad's hair, he and Bo would have had the same length!! Dont let him fool you!!
Trace (from the hood in Wallingford)

Anonymous said...

Ok enough out of the gallery...that's all privilaged information Wright...I could also relase classified detail of your youthful indiscretions.....

Anonymous said...

Me, indescretions? Naaaa.....I was as pristine as could be!!!
Are there no pictures of your 'do'??

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Apparently my past has come back to haunt me as there seems to be woman who "claims" to be aware of some rather dubious hairstyles that PinF once sported---for the record this IS hearsay and is to be ignored. Though I suspect I've just been given fodder for my next blog......

Anonymous said...

PinF,

Is it true you once sported the Dr. J fro?

Or did you only model your game after his, not your hair style?

the Man in the Dam.

PS - Being follically challenged myself, I love a story about the hairy good old days!