Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Keys to Life

PinF has long maintained the surest way to emotional balance is taking time for yourself -- and regularly. Though I haven't always been able to take the time as much as I would like, I have still taken short periods here and there. My summer trip by cycle was a commitment I had made to myself last winter as I worked my way into my new-found single life. This trip was quite therapeutic as it gave me the time I needed to be alone and ponder the meanings of so many different events and changes in my life.

To this ends, the time has come again for a short reprieve of sorts. I will load the VStrom and motor on down the Keys for some R&R. I will take nothing I don't need. Specifically my kit will include an I-Pod, a rain suit, small kit of toiletries and one change of clothing, oh and my camera too. That's it- nothjing more. I will get on the turnpike at 5AM and ride into sunrise with my music in my ears. By 8AM I should be chilling in Key Largo having a Cuban variation of breakfast, my cares behind me and the sun above me. From here I will enjoy my morning Cuban coffee while reading the paper-- hopefully dockside somewhere, keeping to no schedule or person other than my carefree self. From Key Largo I will head further south into the Lower Keys, specifically Marathon and then onto Bahia Honda State Park...this is where the PinF southern offices are located, and from where I will be writing the many PostCards I have to send. This is also where I will make a day of chilling and some snorkeling. I forgot to mention that I will have with me a journal, and a book; they will figure into my day probably from here. After any early water activities I intend to move less than the giant tortoise, occasionally cracking a cold beer, and taking a dip, other than this it'll be a major chill session.

After my relaxing morning/afternoon, I plan on meeting some old friends the MacLaughlin's, for drinks and dinner, where I shall partake of the fresh bounty that is the Keys. This of course will be supplemented by several JW Blacks as well. From here I imagine we'll take in the sunset celebration along Mallory Square in downtown Key West. I'm sure after this I will be visiting a few of the more famous watering holes along the famous Duval Street, more to soothe my thirst for music than my thirst for scotch. I'll spend the night in KW and then get up and do it all over again the next day only heading north this time. This should be a nice easy ride as the speed limits in the Keys really dictate the pace.

Mind you, PinF will have with him the list of PostCard recipients that qualified via "PinF2K", so you can imagine the variety and quality of postcards my recipients will be receiving worldwide. So for those of you caught up in the doldrums of winter, or even fall depending on what hemisphere you're located, PinF will be sending a bit of the Florida sunshine via his PostCards, so submit those names to paynterinflorida@safe-mail.net, and then watch your box.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a tease, PaynterinFLORIDA!!!! Taking a weekend to relax in the sun, stopping by Bahia Honda, the sunrise celebration, Duval Street, cofee and paper dockside.....You know all us Northerner's are totally jealous!!! Wish I were there, say hey to LMac!!!

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

heheheheh.....I'll send you a postcard though......hehehheh

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

I see ya hovering Trac...trying to get up in PinF's southern offices aren't ya?

Anonymous said...

YEP!!! Another dreary day in PA!!!
We could use some of that SUNSHINE!!!