Friday, January 27, 2006

Life is a Song Worth Singing

So I guess I've been so preoccupied as of late with the continuing and emotionally taxing affairs in Philly and my own life in Florida, that I hadn't realized PinF was approaching yet another milestone of sorts. 5ooo visitors! That's a rather humbling feat, especially when you consider you're not providing people with anything more than your thoughts on really nothing more than what happens to be happening on any given day in the life of PinF. Often times I've even questioned whether to click the "publish" button, worried whether or not what I've written may at times be "too private". (they usually turn out to be the most true and interesting postings)

If nothing else, writing provides an outlet to personalize that which may be common to many, but too often due to the fear of admitting these thoughts---.many of us may never realize. PinF has received many, many, emails and comments regarding some of the pain and fears of the events he has experienced this past year, some are bound in empathy while others are cloaked in sympathy. Most are wrapped in a commonality of experience, mainly owing to the fact that although we are all uniquely different, we really are much more alike than we are different, especially when it comes to experiences of life as we all journey through. Like Teddy Pendergast so astutely said, "Life is a song worth singing, so sing it".

So while many regular readers as well as strangers of PinF have thanked me for touching something familiar in their lives; it is I- PinF who has received the greater gift, receiving literally hundreds of emails since PinF's debut in May. Of course there are the occasionally angry rants towards a particular political stance or statement--- the lion's share of your comments and postings are positive, supportive, and generally uplifting. PinF tries to be as innocuous as possible, choosing to observe the smaller nuances and meanings in his everyday life and travels, constantly trying to notice the hidden or obscurred lessons or meanings. For it is usually in the smaller and seemingly less significant moments and memories that we find the more profound lessons and experiences. I find this to be true everyday with my own daughter as she'll often recall something that never seemed that important to me, though I vaguely remembered it, it hadn't struck me as something I needed to "bank" at the time it ocurred. This too is true with my own memories, something which is often in contrast with those who remember my childhood events differently than my world at the time had colored them.

So what's the lesson here? Savor the small triumphs, remember the little details, and always try to pay it forward in your life. If you have children, then make it a priority to make "nice" kids; not kids that are nice to you and your family, but kids who are nice to all people all the time. Take time to stop and enjoy the simpler pleasures, even if it's doing nothing, as PinF is so adept at doing on the beach on any given Sunday. Remain focused on the "bigger picture", as it is so easy to get caught in a micro-examination of non significant events in one's life. PinF has gotten through a few particularly tough situations the past few years by doing just this...wide angle focusing, as opposed to zoom lensing my life. So thanks to the many who have followed the often insignificant musings and opinions of one man in Florida----->PinF.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PinF,

The impact of your words and thoughts makes all the difference in the world.

For that, I thank you!

Tedman

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Wow...Tedman. That's nice my man. Thanks, PinF

Anonymous said...

I need to find my "Sunday beach". Thanks for the reminder.
jah

Anonymous said...

Sing on PinF, your 'songs' strike a chord in all of us!