Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Music Of Life

Everyday I check Philly.com to see what's happening at home. This gives PinF a sense of connection even though he no longer lives in Philly, Philly still lives in PinF's heart. Often times I'll read of some senseless murder or embarrassing scandal currently afflicting the good people of Philadelphia. Occasionally I'll even write the Op Ed page in support of a columnist or a particular story.

How many of us get so caught up in our lives that we often don't realize our own blessings all around us? I know that I, PinF am most guilty of this at times, as I have allowed the situations of my life to cloud my vision at times. The important thing is our ability to empathize, lucklily I am able to. My father's declining health and all it has meant and done to me, my outlook, and indeed my view of my own mortality was all put into perspective this morning when I logged onto to Philly.com. I read a quote recently that really puts into perspective our own parent's mortality and what their passing often represents--- a loss of our own innocence: Parents, however old they and we may grow to be, serve among other things to shield us from a sense of our doom. As long as they are around, we can avoid the fact of our mortality; we can still be innocent children.

While reading the news this morning I came a cross a story so sad, yet so beautiful that it kind of kicks you in the stomach and warms your heart at the same time; more importantly it put into perspective the true nature of loss. In doing so, I kind of realized that many of my own petty annoyances and worries are just that, as I tried to imagine going into a recording studio to do what these children did with their dying mother. The story of Marcia Glover-Banks, a single mother raising her children while dying of terminal cancer struck me as an especially poignant lesson that nothing is guaranteed in this life. She and her three daughters just recorded a song written by her, about her and her three daughter's love of each other as she now prepares to die--- barring a miracle. This is a woman who is receiving hospice yet still caring for and raising her three children. How beautifully sad. You can listen to the song here.

It always comes down to the music, and though it's almost too heart wrenching to listen to-- listen you should. What a wonderful legacy of selfless maternal love this mother has given her three daughters along with the connection that love has to the music -- in all of us. She in her infinite maternal wisdom knows far too well that the pain of her passing will one day pale in comparison to the gift she has given to her daughters and the lesson it holds for their future.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many people, in the active stages of dying, demonstrate their final gifts. . .whether to their family or friends, or to God. Each gift is so profound and unique. Marcia's gift (a lovely story, by the way) is such a tribute to her children. . . they will always remember she was their Mom until the end, not simply a suffering woman in the last stages of a terminal illness. This is truly an unselfish, loving mother. Her story is a gift to all of us, and thanks, PinF for sharing this one.
jah

Anonymous said...

There was a gentleman that came from a very wealthy family. Had everything he needed in life. However his father was told by fortune tellers when this gentleman was young, not to let him experience death in anyway as it could affect him adversely.

So his father shielded him from it in every way. He wouldn't allow old people to work around the house. He wouldn't allow the gardeners to leave any dying flowers on the vine.

Of course inevitably there was a lapse and one day when this gentleman was outside of the family confines, he saw a dead man and it did as predicted affect him.

He spent the next part of his life reflecting on what he had seen, and ultimately came to be known by the name BUDDHA.

Anonymous said...

nice.

Anonymous said...

I read that story this morning, and was touched by it as well. I could only imagine the strength she had to do that. I would have cried through the entire recording. When my daughter sang Over the Rainbow in 7th grade and I was totally healthy it was like Niagara Falls. But, given the situation Ms Glover-Banks is in, maybe I would be strong for the kids. I can only hope. She is an inspiration, and what a wonderful tangible memory her daughters will have forever!

Anonymous said...

love the "parents" quote...hit home in a big way :)
again, muchas gracias for the cd...your timing was perfect :)