Monday, February 27, 2006

The Teacher Becomes the Student

All the time a person is a child he is both a child and learning to be a parent. After he becomes a parent he becomes predominently a parent reliving childhood. ---Benjamin Spock



It's no secret to any regular reader of this blog that PinF is completely enamored with his prodigious little companion Sophia. There is an ease to our relationship that is neither spoken nor defined. We know each other's boundaries both emotionally, and physically. She knows my likes, dislikes, quirks and most importantly my expectations of her. I too know her's. She's a child prone to praise and encouragement; whether it's her nature or the fact that she's an only child, she despises disappointing those who matter--her teacher and her parents specifically. This I see as a wonderful trait as she places her expectations of herself higher than those who matter would place on her, something every parent wants their child do.

Sophia arrived Thursday for her four days with her papi quite sheepishly. Her mother explained she was a afraid to show me her math test. Of the many blessings I'm grateful to have in my life one of my dearest would be Sophia's ease and love of learning, as she's always excelled with school. Again, she places high expectations on herself-- I like this, as I realize that one day this may wane with either the advent of boys or possibly teen angst-fueled rebellion. First thing I did was tell I didn't care about the test-- it is but one test of hundreds she will take this school year and she's never failed one yet. It was of course in the dreaded discipline of math that this travesty occurred, PinF was himself a victim of this "curse" as well. Specifically it was a test on "time"; how to read a clock, and the various ways we "tell" time.

After some hugs of assurance backed up with some healthy encouragement of just how good a student she really was, I was able to convince her to show me the "test". Oddly enough
PinF is not a screaming, easily annoyed, or angered parent in case you're wondering. This isn't because this isn't my nature-- no, it's more because of the daugher that I was blessed with requires none of this type of carrying on. (See paragraph 1) She handed it over. She bombed it alright. A 56. Hopefully, she like I, was able to recognize that the real test was not the one she had failed, but rather that she came to me and though I may have been disapointed, I'll never be mad. I explained to her that her disapointment in herself made me more proud of her, as it showed how she really cared about failing the test, this in itself was much more of an important "test" to me. Well, I had to sign the test to assure the teacher I was aware of this so I did. I also wrote her a note telling her that by Monday Sophia would know "time" and all it's many nuances along with the equally diverse ways of desciphering it as well.

Saturday ushered in a "cold front" with rain here in
PinF's part of Florida. A perfect day for sitting in and studying. Though Sophia loves school, she is first and foremost a kid--as such she also loves to play, something I knew I would have to be conscious of as we veered down "Study road" on a Saturday. We had bought a work book for 2nd graders on "time". Well let me skip the details and submit to the many readers that I know for certain that I picked Sophia up from religious school at "11:48", we discovered that though the lap top says "12:18" the stove says "12:20". We really didn't have to leave for the movie at "3:50" because it wasn't to start until "4:15" and so on. That's right-- I might have given her too much clock knowledge, as I was now reminded of the time of almost all functions and tasks throughout my day. Mission accomplished. I told her how proud I was that she put in the extra time this weekend. We probably studied about 3 hours off and on, and it paid off--quite literally. She went to school all puffed up with pride and feeling renewed and ready, and I went to work feeling like my weekend was spent very wisely. Equal parts play, work, prayer, the movies, learning, and laughing. Funny thing is, I think I learned more from her than she did from me. Either way it was the type of experience I know she'll carry for a long time, these are of course the most rewarding times spent.

Being a parent is a constant reminder that the teacher (in this case ME) often becomes the student, and as I often remind Sophia "you learn something new everyday".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember having problems with the math of time myself t Sophia's age, and my parents (both teachers) wore themselves out tring to pass the concept on to me. Finally, they got me a Dr. Suess watch, which I still have, and one of those signs for stores with the moveable clock (will be back at ...) and thus began my understanding. I told the time to anyone and everyone because I could.
Now how do we explain to Sophia that you can't stop time, nor go back in time...that's the real hard stuff!
Oh, and I am anxious to know Sophia's thoughts on the Olympics :)

Anonymous said...

Where we in the US say "half-past 10", the Dutch would say "half-eleven". Never quite got used to that.

To make matters worse, where we would say, "27 past 10" - the Dutch would say "3 before half 11".

So no reason to feel bad, as I can't tell time either.

Anonymous said...

Wait til you get to long division and fractions!!! YIKES!!!

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Can you spell t-u-t-o-r ? haha....I already thought about that tho TMac.....

Anonymous said...

Always keep it positive and you can teach and learn anything. Using material that holds a students’s interest (Dr. Seuss watch or game) also helps.
Good work PinF.
When are you bringing Sophia on an educational adventure to CR?

Anonymous said...

The most important part of the math lesson is that Sophia was able to show you the test, knowing that you would be disappointed -- not IN her, but FOR her. She was disappointed enough in herself, and she trusted you to turn her failure into not just a math lesson, but a life lesson. This trust will carry her through life, as I think it did when my daughter, just 6 days shy of 21, got a DUI. She was horribly embarrassed, but showed maturity and trust in sitting her father and me down and letting us know she screwed up. We didn't have to sign any papers for her, but I do remember signing an awful lot of checks for court fees, lawyers, ARD, etc. etc. Same kinda story, just an older daughter. . .
Keep up the good work, PinF. The lessons stay with them.
jah