Monday, July 10, 2006

(Board)Walking through Time

With tears in her eyes Sophia said her good-bye to her mami at the airport. After all the changes in her life, the seemingly tougher and adjusted veneer of her personality shows its fragility when she she breaks away from either of her parents, however temporary it may be.I understand this. I also expect it. So you push on, and we did. Two weeks can be an eternity in a child's mind not to mention a parents' when their child is away. Cognizant of this fact I kept each of them in contact daily with both photos and phone calls easing both their anxieties.

I thought to my self as I began the journey back to Philly yet again-- how much different things were just a
year ago. Instead I was now off to Philly with the express intent of A. relaxing, and B. having fun with my daughter. Both were welcome changes from my many sojourns of the past two years or so. Still my father was on my mind, especially being in a place he loved so much--the Jersey shore.Long since forgotten reminders of my own childhood were lurking around every undiscovered corner and every activity and experience that Sophia would find. Unlike her father or even her cousins, Sophia has never had the Jersey shore experience to model her impressions of summer.

Instead Sophia has been a child of the tropics playing on beaches in Latin America and s. Florida. Along the way you kind of miss out on the boardwalks, chilly waters, and horseshoe crabs. The latter probably aren't too missed. But the boardwalk, well this is an entirely different experience. Sophie had been spying for some time on the internet and Philadelphia magazine. She had caught glimpses of this wooden oasis, still the concept wasn't fully grasped, at least not until we walked up the 9th Street ramp in Ocean City.The first senses to be affected are those relating to the olfactory. The immediate whiff of funnel cake, popcorn, cotton candy and pizza almost overwhelm you. Then there is the sheer visual affect--as far as the eye can see in either direction is wood, and lots of it. Sophia took to this wonderfully fun and deliciously smelly enviromen
t like a fish to water.....problem is where to start?

I could see Sophia wanted to run 5 different directions....I of course wanted her to see what I wanted. It helps if you can remember what it's like to be little and on the boardwalk (PinF does).....so I did what you
have too. I got out of the way and let her decide what we were going to do. First? miniature golf----Sophia dies for this. Second? Arcades for some Dance, Dance, Revolution. Third? uhuh shops, lots of 'em---girly types-- jewelry, dolls, clothing...and then some tattoos (non-permanent).The last thing we did the first day of our boardwalk assault was the antique photo shop. This experience, for anyone who had never been, is a real rite of passage and something we planned on doing while still in Florida, so she was pumped for this one. I was the Sheriff, she was the barmaid. A classic if I should say so myself.

The joy of parenting is in rediscovering the kid in yourself..I did during this week and we had an absolute blast. I played so much mini golf I got my own "tour card". I am blessed to have a "child of wonder" who neither expects, nor takes for granted the good fortune she recieves. Sophia, blessed with an even temperament and kind nature, is someone I've learned to be so thankful for after a walk on the boardwalk surveying other peoples' children. Certainly one of the great joys of my vacation was being so often complimented what a polite, friendly, and nice little girl I have.

Walking through your own past with you own "future" is such a cool way to spend your vacation, so many places I saw and visited especially in OC brough back the many memories of wonderful vacations of my own, made possible by my own parents. These are the memories I still carry to this day, fully aware that the Sophia and I will now have a shared memory to discuss fondly in as many years as she wishes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

PinF,

Ironically I spent the week of the 4th in OCNJ as well (as well as a few important hours in Somers Point). My wife's family used to have a house there on 21st street so every moment of every summer of her youth was spent in "America's Greatest Family Resort." We now drag our 2 small children there from Maryland ostensibly for their benefit, but I think the real reason is to steal back some my wife's youth. A selfish parental endeavor, but the side effects are benign. My daughter is only 3, so she hasn't quite the maturity or wherewithal of Sophia, but she can still do some damage at Wonderland and Playland. I can only hope her first batch of tattoos will be non-permanent.

My brother, keep writing about good memories and the passing of traditions. The ability to recognize and enjoy those small moments is a precious gift.

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Spoken Like a true father Peck. Had I not been on "Blog Hiatus" you and I would have been up to no-good on he other side of that bay" in OC. Just as well I suppose. Thanks for the comment...your wise observations are always appreciated. PinF

Anonymous said...

PinF,
After seeing you in "dad" action last week you must know that Sophia gets all of those wonderful qualities from you. You are an amazing dad to an amazing girl :)
Miss you both!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! I would love to see a guest Blog from Miss Sophie with her very own observations of O.C. We do take for granted our Jersey Shore . . . there's nowhere else like it. My kids still talk about Wonderland, Playland and Jillians after all these years, and I'm sure they'll continue the Shore traditions they (and us) grew up with when they have their own children (soon, I hope!).

Anonymous said...

ooohhh...love the addition of the pictures! My fave is the first one of Sophia walking with her pail...excellent natural shot!
But you know the Sheriff/barmaid picture is the classic from your trip!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I too am an OCNJ bum. On a May Friday in 1987 I told my parents I was going "down the shore", meaning for the weekend, they responded with "you better get a job." As usual the communication between parents and a young male were on different pages. So I packed a few more clothes and headed down the "backway", past the colored milk jug yard, the "you're entering God's country, don't speed like hell" sign, shady used car dealers, Jonsey's BBQ Pit,WAWA's and numerous other oddities that made the backway so special. I landed a one room dump with various other vagabonds and eventually met my (now) wife.
Her great-grandfather built their bungalow in 1915 on 2nd street and managed to keep it in the same family to this day. Now our son gets to enjoy being a 5th generation OC kid.
I hope he gets to do all of the fun stuff, yeah the rides, beach, blah, blah, blah. I'm talking the really fun stuff. Accidentally (sp) stepping on lit cigarettes in bare feet on the b-walk, "borrowing" bikes to get home, hangin in the coldest of ATM vestabules (sp) in town on sweltering days, overhearing a Phillies game from a neighboring porch, or better yet over hearing some juicy gossip from a neighboring house. All the little stuff.
One thing he won't get to enjoy is the early morning cry of a hard working paperboy rhymically calling "PHILADELPHIA INQUIRRRRRRRE"

Sorry to bore everyone.

Pecker sorry I missed you last week, I was up at my family's house in Ct.

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

classic hari. classic.

Anonymous said...

Hari,

That's a great story, but I seem to remember a similar ode for the first week of the 86 summer as well. My recollection was that a certain destitute Hari Har traded his time between our senior week house on 3rd street (beware the crossed oars) and the Yocom's group house somewhere else in OCNJ. I remember everyone on the beach one day early in the week chipping in to fuel the night's bacchanalia, you saying you only had a dollar, and Clutey saying "for God's sake, we can't take the man's last dollar". I think I heard that dialogue verbatim 5 times over the next 3 days.

Damned if Hari didn't make it to Saturday with that same dilapidated and sand blasted Washington. That thing ought to be in a frame.

Anonymous said...

OOOH Pecker, you are a wiley one with a steel trap memory, maybe that's why you got a "B" in latin class and I.... well I passed. I do have the dollar framed, that was a prized posession of mine, along with the mullet (it was a soccer haircut thank you very much) I sported and will show it over on my site adozenodiscs along with other tasty shore stories.
I did bum off of you guys, but had a share in the infamous house at 810 Plymouth place.

That might have been the year Chuck and I had a few in the afternoon and stumbled over to D2's place to scrounge some food. She said Charles have you been drinking? To which he responded "drinking mom? I'm f***ing drunk! Beeba-mania is running wild!"

Anonymous said...

Excellent give and take you all got going here!! Keep it up, love the conversation. I am flooded with OCNJ memories!! Been going there 45 years....Shhhhh (yes, I am 45!)