Saturday, December 29, 2007

Heaven's Gonna Burn Your Eyes

Having successfully navigated the emotionally filled and often misdirected intentions of the holiday season, I had today to rediscover what I increasingly find hard to either truly embrace or find time for in my busy life--- taking time just for me. Sophia's Christmas a success, thus making mine enjoyable as well, it becomes a little clearer everyday that life does indeed slowly recoil into that which was familiar after major life changes. I now sit under an evening sky that I'm not quite sure my just-taken photo will convey, so I'll try to describe it in two words. Heaven's glow. The westerly receding sun has splashed traces of pink and lavender throughout the high scattered puffy Caribbean-borne clouds, leaving in its wake a palette of colors that only the heavens could paint. A perfect ending to a perfect day.

So it was that PinF reacquainted himself with his old tribe -- the do-nothing-tribe of the pleasure sponge nation of life. The day presented itself in all its glory with gentle breezes and warm sunshine, ushering in what would prove to be a classic book toting, Ipod accompanying day of self indulgence along the edges of the warm Atlantic ocean. I had only just spoken to a dear friend far, far away in a cold European country on this, her birthday before making camp at precisely 11:45 AM, the sun nearing its winter apex for the day, bathing the beach in warm 84* temperatures. The incredibly difficult thing for a pleasure sponge such as myself, is often in the details of deciding what indulgence to enjoy first. I have routines. I like a really good book, something that courtesy of my mother, I had. I like some nice contemplative music as well, once again, check. I like also to get in the ocean and feel its restorative properties allowing my skin to be heated back to warmth under the sun. And lastly, though certainly not least, I most enjoy just watching what's going on. The people, the birds, the waves, the whole scene; as I find nothing so interesting as watching the myriad of activities unfolding in and around the water.

So here I sat with that great book, ever so conscious not to devour it too quickly, like a tasty meal that you want to savor and draw out as long as you can. The children's shrieks, the gull's cries, and the lifeguard's whistle all acting as a soundtrack to my day as I go from reading to swimming and back to the Ipod and then back to reading again. I am cognizant enough of the day to recognize that life is indeed good and for this fact I am grateful to have this day. Lots of love surrounds my thoughts and indeed my chair as I see young mother's with their babes touching the ocean for the first time, reminding me of 9 years ago when Sophia, at just 3 weeks old first had her tiny toes dipped into the warm gulf stream fueled elixir. I see behind the haze of my music, old people gingerly navigating themselves through the sand, careful not to fall yet determined and somehow renewed by that which probably contains more powerful memories than any mountain or meadow in their lives--the ocean.

Yes this is my day. Drifting in out of my book, sipping ice cold water, and disappearing in and out of different times and places with people who've either shared, touched, or left my life through the music that now flows non-stop in my ears. What caught my attention over the volume of music I'm not sure. A kind of sixth sense I suppose as I turned my attention to the sea and the crowd gathering along the shoreline, a rescue most likely, or maybe a shark sighting. This is after all tourist season in Florida when drownings spike often due to ignorance of the conditions and currents. Sadly, this would be the only thing that could shatter such beautiful bliss and relaxation. And so, like the dozens who've gathered before me, I remove my music, grab my camera and make my way to the water.

Much to my surprise I find an even more interesting drama unfolding. I saw the little boy first. He was shoeless, and in a mini tuxedo. He was equipped with a small bouquet of roses and a bucket and shovel, and while his accompanying party was mesmerized with what was happening I had the pleasant realization that what was really happening. This was just one more confirmation of the restorative and calming powers of the ocean, as a couple had arrived to be married in front of hundreds of beach goer's. Instantly the "church" was filled as the bathing suit-clad congregation piled into the service, young and old, black and white--all pulled from whatever had been captivating their attention moments before now gathered in a semi-circle as the barefoot bride and groom exchanged vows with a turquoise blue ocean backdrop.

Looking around and listening to the many hushed comments, most people were so caught off guard yet somehow so involved at this point, so I did what PinF does best. I became the "unofficial photographer" and snapped a few shots. People who were complete strangers moments before were now commenting, joking, oohing and ahhing. The woman officiating the service was crying as the bride read her own vows, even a few of the congregation began contributing salty tears to the already salty ocean. No one was prepared for this, so it really was quite neat--not to mention unique. PinF has seen many receptions on the beach, but never had I seen a commando wedding just pop up during the height of the beach going day, again more evidence of the love that abounds with people near the ocean. As if there is some unseen power that emanates from the ocean, or is it like J.F.K. once observed that humans have an affinity to the ocean that can be traced to the earliest life forms on earth, this and the fact that humans, like our planet, are comprised of 75% water?

Whatever the case, this was the the perfect beginning to their lives, as well as the perfect ending to mine and many other's day. A true convergence of the yin and the yang.


"Love is the strongest force the world possesses, and yet it is the humblest imaginable"


-- Mahatma Gandhi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that was really neat witnessing a young couple's special day. The brides wedding gown perfectly blended with the pastor's robe. The beach was always a refuge for us. I remember once, when pregnant with one of my children, I sat by some dunes while husband fished off the New Smyrna Beach jetty. The sky blue, sun shining, and me just smiling and feeling incredibly happy. Thanks for giving me a chance to reflect on happy memories the beach has given us.-Sugar

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Yes Sugar, the beach unlike so many other places provides that type of refuge. I was thinking unlike the beauty of mountains, beaches are on every continent and provide a shared experience that unites all people no matter what color, race, or nationality - kind of a natural common denominator if you will....

akjn westside said...

love the kamikazee style nuptials...way to be johnny on the spot!