Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holiday Days

Christmas Eve arrived with little left for me to do except secure a new halo for my angel and revealed to us a full moon on a muggy unseasonably warm night. With this task completed Sophia and me took in a little lunch and enjoyed the balmy weather, something that had I not been from the north might have been taken for granted. Christmas Eve represented Sophia's last run as an angel as the cut off point is 4th grade.


We arrived in the angel's "locker room" before mass to an array of tiny people cloaked in sheep skins, adorned in silks, and flowing about in halo's and wings. Sophia commented to me that many of the angels this year looked so tiny. I reminded her that it was only 4 years ago on this night when she and I arrived, herself looking tiny too. She was only 5 years old and was so filled with excitment to be an angel. It got me to thinking just how fast time is going. Thankfully, this warp speed of time includes both the painfully excrucuiating moments as well as the intensely joyous one's.

Sophie said to me the other day that "...2007 was her best year ever...". I can relate to this since she made her choir, has been making her own music, and attended the Hannah Show. I reminded her that as good as it is, the future holds even better experiences, and that's the best part of life. So we're on to 2008, each of us hopeful for the what the New Year holds. In the meantime we're going to enjoy what's left of 2007 and this incredibly beachy weather. For now we have a few days to relax and enjoy all the goodies Santa brought her.
Of course I too get to enjoy my School of Rock shirt, courtesy of
Sophia's keen gift giving eye along with several good books that will be savored on the beach these next few days. The holiday train chugs forward, next stop New Year's Eve.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great gift ~ "School of Rock" shirt! It must have been so much fun all those years with Sophie participating in plays. She seems to developed a natural gift for language and arts. Was wondering if you were an author as well? -Sugar

akjn westside said...

love the shirt!

I remember my days as angel in the church pageant...the "locker room" was always quite a scene with limp wings, crushed halos, and 5 Greek mamas running around like crazy!

The best to you and Soph in 2008...maybe a trip westward?????