Thursday, February 07, 2008

Who Needs Some Beach?

Took some time out for PinF today. Original plan: leave office early and do taxes. Actual plan: grab I Pod and book and head to the 85* sun-drenched beach. What can I say? I'm weak. I'm also ever present, or at least I am ever trying to be--in the "moment". And the moment was screaming BEACH! Nuff said.

So I'm chilling in my regular spot, listening to French Canadians as they broadcast their distinctive French accents, watching the waves, the clouds, the lovely sights and peacefully gliding pelicans. Perfect day; breeze is coming out of the south, ocean is 76*, with a light chop. I can see there's quite a sandbar forming and with it a large deposit of shells. So, I decide on a leisurely walk, always on the look-out for the odd piece of beach glass. As anyone who has ever spent time with PinF on the beach knows how much I enjoy looking for glistening nuggets of smoothly worn glass. The whole experince relaxes my mind and allows me to wade in the shallows; add an I Pod and you're in the zone.

My thoughts drift from Sophia's orthodontist appointment, to the many friends I've shared good times with along this very beach, back to the music pumping in my ears. The memories, the laughs, and the many cold Coronas shared with these people give me pause to smile. I remember being on this very beach with my brother Rob and my Dad as he insistently told us both "how hot" it was. Friends from home, friends from Europe, friends from South America, they're all here, and their memories surround me. Just as I'm drifitng in my thoughts and the day, I spot some glass in about 6 inches of water--green, I quickly make the grab before the next mini swell.

I'm completely aware and thankful of the weather and my surroundings---as I think of the friends and family in less favorable climates. Perhaps I neeed to send my many colder climate friends a little bit of my beach---just a little bad zip-lock bag with a mini batch of sand and beach glass. That should sustain you all for a few months eh? Just drop me an email with a ship to address if you're in a cold place and need a shot of some beach and PinF will mail a miniaturebeach asap.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Hey, I got something for your next afternoon on the beach. Will keep you busy for 4 hours...

tedman said...

Like the bookshelf! Pretty Cool!

Sugar said...

Hey! I'm missing your blog stories! Can you let me know how to attach a blog link to/behind the name of a blogger to serve as a referring point? Thanks!

By the way...the kiln arrived this week! Will be getting a few more items and then get started. Thanks to you for encouraging me to begin a life long interest.